The home of C.L. "Lester" and Florence R. Skaggs, pioneer Weslaco bankers and citrus growers, it was one of the first Weslaco homes built according to architectural plans.
The Spanish Revival home was one of the earliest masonry residences in the burgeoning community of Weslaco.
A Brief History:
- 1924 - Lester and Florence R. Skaggs purchased 15 acres of land from W.E. Stewart Land Company (Weslaco).
- 1927 - The Skaggs home is constructed. The home is designed by architect R. Newell Waters.
- 1952 - Florence Skaggs becomes sole owner of the property.
- 1963 - Merril Ann (Bebe) Skaggs James, daughter of Lester and Florence Skaggs acquires the home.
- 1992 - Bebe James donates the property to Frontera Audubon Society for conservation and preservation.
- 1994 - The Skaggs home is designated a Texas Historic Landmark.
Download (PDF): The Skaggs House